Learn about the benefits of Rejuvenating Fog Seal Treatments
Roads break down over time, but eFog, a rejuvenating fog seal developed by Ergon Asphalt & Emulsions, can delay that process. eFog contains a proven rejuvenator and a polymer-modified asphalt base that provides a denser film thickness for increased durability and resistance to tracking.
At an average cost of $0.50 per square yard, eFog is a cost-effective way to extend the life of a roadway by roughly 2-3 years.
eFog, like conventional fog seals, can be applied to all types of roads (as long as they are not in critical condition). In addition to preventative maintenance, eFog can be used to correct more severe distresses than conventional fog seals, such as oxidation, raveling and top down fatigue cracks.
A conventional fog seal should not be used on surfaces with low friction resistance and should be used with caution on surfaces carrying traffic over 35mph.
According to a study completed by the Federal Highway Administration entitled “Prevention is the Cure,” the use of fog seals is an easy and cost-effective way to delay roadway breakdowns and further postpone major construction.
- Dilute at a 1:1 ratio with warm water at the emulsion plant.
- After dilution, the seal should be applied to the roadway as soon as possible.
- The surface that will receive the seal should be cleaned and prepared.
- Seal cracks ¼” or greater after application.
- Allow the emulsion to cure before opening road to traffic.