Learn about the benefits of Crack Seal Treatments
Treating minor roadway flaws at the first sign of strain will help prevent minor flaws from turning into major headaches. Cracking in most pavements is inevitable, and if left untreated, can cause massive pavement failure. To solve this, crack sealing is used as a cost-effective method to treat all types of cracks greater than ⅛”.
At an average cost of $1.00 per linear foot, a crack seal can extend the life of a roadway by roughly 3-5 years, making it a secure and cost-effective way to protect the underlying base.
Crack sealing is inherently a reactive treatment, but it does have one preventative quality, which is averting water intrusion into the sub base level. If done properly, crack seals will preserve the structural integrity of the roadway while addressing inevitable flaws.
- Assess the type of crack: thermal, longitudinal, block or fatigue cracking and consider climate to determine the correct sealant product.
- Remove debris and moisture from the crack.
- Rout crack for extended life.
- Clean and dry surrounding pavement.
- Don’t forget to seal edge and centerline joints to prevent water penetration.
In operation since 1976, Crafco is the world’s leading manufacturer of sealants and other road maintenance equipment and pavement repair materials. The company produces and supplies specialized products for the pavement preservation, bridge, roofing and waterproofing industries worldwide.