Learn about the benefits of Priming Treatments
Consider the steps to painting a room. Before you paint, you prime. Similarly, priming is a vital step in road construction that occurs after the preparation of the roadbed and before paving. Because the structural integrity of your road is most vulnerable during the construction process, utilizing ePrime adds a temporary waterproof layer that provides a better bind for base materials and protects the environment from dust hazards.
ePrime, a penetrating prime developed by Ergon Asphalt & Emulsions, is a quick curing, environmentally friendly prime coat that is solvent-free. No solvents means it can be applied virtually anywhere − and has no fire hazards or explosive properties − which are a major safety concern of conventional prime coats. Also, primers containing solvents may need three or more days to cure. ePrime enables same day paving to begin as soon as the emulsion has broken.
At an average cost of $1.00 per square yard, ePrime provides a better surface for a chip seal or asphalt pavement layer to bind with, which yields a more durable surface that will last longer.
- Prepare surface for chip seal or hot mix asphalt construction before applying ePrime.
- A light application of water or scarification may assist in penetration.
- Do not allow pre-wet water to pool.
- Calibrate distributor.
- Adjust application rate so that full coverage is achieved. Ensure no pooling of emulsion is evident after 10 minutes.
- Protect from construction traffic until final cure is achieved.
Download Success Stories
- Success Story: Las Vegas, NV